Welcome to Domains Insider.
We analyze deals and use Moneyball tactics to discover undervalued, mispriced, and hidden gem domains for sale.
(New here? Read our primer on Investing in Domain Names)
Today, we have a great expired domain worth looking at, along with some opportunities for “meta” domains.
Former domain of a website specifically designed to search for auctions happening in your neighborhood.
- Majestic: 33 Trust Flow, 23 Citation Flow
- SEMRush Authority Score: 32
- Moz: 26/39
- Referring Domains: 249+
- Age: 1999 (22 years old)
- Abandoned in 2014
A snapshot from 2013. The site was a Canada-based directory of local auctions.
Referring domains skew a bit lower authority-wise, but there are 2,000 backlinks from 301 unique referring domains, including links from:
- CBC.ca (Authority Score 83)
- Harvard.edu (87)
- Canadianwoodworking.com (62)
- Farmcollector.com (50)
89% of links are dofollow links, which is pretty good
Backlinks and referring domains are sliding down. This decay been factored into our Inferred Value.
The term “auctions” is actually down over the past 15 years, but is ticking back up slowly.
Interestingly, the highest interest in auctions is from Australia & NZ.
The site is still getting about 15 visits per day.
Lots of comps with good prices
- auctionsoftware.com sold in 2015 for $37,500
- publicauctions.com sold in 2008 for $17,000
- landauctions.com sold in 2014 for $15,300
- onlineauctions.com sold in 2018 for $10,900
- dutchauctions.com sold in 2016 for $8,500
Here is how we calculate the Inferred Value:
- 5 referring domains w/ Authority Score 71+ ($650/link): $3,250
- 16 referring domains w/ Authority Score 61-70 ($400/link): $6,400
- 33 referring domains w/ Authority Score 51-60 ($175/link): $5,775
- 57 referring domains w/ Authority Score 41-50 ($100/link): $5,700
- 260 referring domains w/ Authority Score 21-40 ($20/link): $5,200
- Annual link decay rate: -66%
- Existing traffic value: $0
- Exact searches: $160
- Average of Estibot + GoDaddy appraisal: $950
Our Inferred Value: $8,687
The domain is priced at $8,990, or 3.4% above our Inferred Value.
We are giving a soft buy recommendation on this domain.
The Global Online Auction Market is expected to grow by $1.6 billion during 2021-2025 at a CAGR of 8.92%.
The market is driven by the shift in preference toward online auctioning from conventional auctioning and ease of bidding. In addition, a shift in preference toward online auctioning from conventional auctioning is anticipated to boost the growth of the market as well.
This domain itself is pretty accurately priced. The backlink profile is pretty good, though it’s declining significantly YoY. Comps show strength for .com’s containing the word “auction”. But our Inferred value indicates it’s not undervalued either.
With ODYS’s 50% cashback offer going for 2 more days, this is a solid domain worth considering.
ODYS has a few other domains that caught our eye:
- Michiganforward.com ($1,800) – Former domain of a Michigan-based non-profit organization specializing in creating progressive public policy initiatives for state and local governments.
- Earthnow.com ($12,690) – Earth Now is a highly brandable .com name that represents a site about surveillance. It served as an online presence for a firm that aimed to provide a real-time view of the planet via a constellation of advanced imaging satellites.
- StarterLeague.com ($8,990) – Former domain of an education institution offering courses on programming languages, software, and web development.
You may have heard Facebook has rebranded itself to Meta. Since the announcement, there has been a rush to buy meta-related domains.
LOTS of meta domains are already taken — it’s slim pickings out there. However, we used name idea generators to find a few that are still available.
Available to hand-register:
- metaconference.com $4,399